Re-present Christ, quite literally.
Just FYI, I am doing a three-week series at church based out of my Rejecting Apathy blog series I started. Yes, this is the same Rejecting Apathy that I was doing on this blog, but I put it on hold as I wrote it all into a devotional styled book, and then 10250 words later, it is finished.
I will be releasing the book as a PDF download here later this week, it’s being edited at the moment. I will also be putting up the sermon series audio too for anyone who would like to listen in.
I would appreciate prayer as I finish all these things off, thanks in advance!
Lay up treasures in heaven
“Is your salvation a ticket to new life LATER, or is it a freedom to live new life NOW?” This question has consumed me over the last two years – hence the name of my blog, “Not just a ticket to heaven”.
So, in light of that, I am going to come and say it: I don’t believe that our Christian faith is to be one that just lazily sits around and waits for “glory” one day later. I believe we are to be love, restoration and humility with skin-on, now.
Yes, I know that is incredibly hard – and if you don’t think it is, I am not sure we are following the same Christ.
Jesus, here in this passage for today, has listed out a couple of counter-cultural actions that his followers are to follow: love and value something far greater than just your “stuff”; be people who continually look at yourself and make sure you are living mission (light); don’t bow down to money – serve the Kingdom!
Jesus has given us a job to do, and he continually gives us great examples of how to do it…
- Do love: go and love some body, rather than some thing
- Do restoration: check yourself, and make sure you go and do mission today
- Do humility: don’t try become the king of your own kingdom, instead, clock in to work for the one whose Kingdom is the best.
Think about Love, Restoration, Humility – which do you lack right now?
So, the challenge for today? Do what you lack.
The Lord’s prayer
- Praise and worship, setting your sight on the reality of God’s Kingdom – not yours.
- Your Kingdom come, on earth as it is in your Kingdom!
- Provide for us please, with your Kingdom provision
- Forgive us, and help us to forgive like people do when they are in your Kingdom
- Keep us safe and protect us as we do work in your mission, working for your Kingdom
- Praise again, just to remember who’s the boss.
So that’s it for today, a simple little prayer structure that helps me to pray effectively and remember that God isn’t some bank-teller or ticket-giver, but that I play a role in His mission here on earth and I always need to find out what His agenda is, and then pray that.
So the challenge for today? Pray! Log off the computer and actually pray…
Giving to the needy
- Attention to Jesus (Is His agenda the one we are pursuing? Or is it actually mine…?)
- Motive for mission (Why are we doing what we are doing?)
- Compassion for the people (Is the desire, or heart-break to do it even there?)
- Love for Jesus, and his mission, and his creation. (A wrap up of all these things…)
- …anything else you feel led to add.
So the challenge for today? Do the things Jesus did – but for the right reasons.
Love your enemies
“Baby, you complete me, but you make a lot of assumptions; when you assume things, you make an ass out of you, and me. Don’t make an ass out of me.”– Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (“End of the Road”, off the Take A Break album)
So the challenge for today? Love and pray.